Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: EXAMPLE: Why OOO is *BAD* [WAS: Re: OOO FLAME]

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:27:31 +0200

Actually, I do think that story is a bit stretched. But I do know a story which is sounds more realistic and is real too:

A few headhunters in NYC were watching the OOOs (OOPs) of some top-talent Electrical Engineers at various firms waiting to catch them away from work. With some document grinding-- dating sites, facebook, etc., they knew what these people wanted and exactly how sweet the deal needed to be to get them to jump ship. When the "regular" mails came back with OOOs, the headhunters went to work on them to meet them in their neighborhood, offer them basketball tickets to make informal meetings with clients, and other tricks. The OOOs themselves weren't detrimental but they gave the headhunters a clue as to when to act best when the engineers had their guard down and weren't thinking of the office. They nabbed a lot of engineers that way.

That was back in the dotcom era but I think headhunters are no less aggressive today. Anyway, at the very least, I try to explain it this way:

An OOO is an interaction and sometimes with an unknown person. All interactions which don't add to business or save money are bad. Interaction is required to steal something either directly or indirectly. If the OOO is necessary for the work done by the business then it has no benefit and is an unnecessary interaction and may lead to theft whether by a clever hacker, an eager head hunter, or....

We reduce all interactions to only those necessary and we save ourselves and others a lot of grief. Hear that you people still bouncing SPAM and Virus mails back to the forged domains your mail server thinks it actually came from!

-pete.

www.isecom.org
www.osstmm.org
www.hackerhighschool.org

Tim March wrote:

I didn't miss the point -- just found the story questionable.

T.

Pablo Cardoso wrote:
Tim, I'm guessing you missed the point. The secretary called the
tech-support of Joe's company, she was the one requesting the
/etc/shadow file
from the server :P!!!

Excellent scenario, Jon, thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Pablo Cardoso