Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Smartcard Security - Suggested Hardware

From: Ahmad Taha <ahmad.taha () usa net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:32:45 +0200

You can try one of the smart card programmer used to program smart card for scrambled satellite reception, there is one card programmer called smartmouse and another one called phoenix which you can build yourself using help from the following link for example:
www.osepie.onicom.sk/phoenix/info_d.htm
Or you can buy some more advanced unit like the USB Phoenix smart card multiprogrammer, which you can find easily searching the Internet.

I hope this will help.

Regards,
Ahmad Taha Zaki

bin4ry wrote:

The hardware i am looking for shouldn't be the hardware we are
researching. I am only looking for a powerful card reader _and_ writer
so that we can write specific data to blank smartcards, to see if we can
fool the actual reader which is used by the system we are researching.

Furthermore it think of severeal other attack vectors:

1. The card itself (maybe we can dump the data, replicate it and break
security system. If data is encrypted maybe we can extract a key)

2. The communication (maybe we can sniff the communication between card
and reader. I don't really know where to apply to get the communication
stream, yet).

3. The reader (Maybe we can manipulate the display, so it displas wrong
info. We'll also try to dump the eeprom to see whats going on in there.
Another approach would be to setup a serial connection to a pc or to
replace the microprocessor with our own, manipulated, on.

Cheers

Matthew Zimmerman schrieb:
Maybe I'm not grasping the whole picture.  Seems to me that the
hardware you're using should either be the same hardware where you
think the problem is (e.g., that exact product) (hardware error) or
the hardware you're using doesn't really matter (software error).  It
could certainly be something in between, but I would go with hardware
that helps you exploit where you think the issue is in this device.

Matt Z