Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Hidden Copying Software

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:35:02 +0100

Rocky

It depends on the network.  If the LAN is configured with no security
(an University ones often are), he may have had his USB drive mounted
shared across the LAN almost automatically.

Alternatively, if it was a targeted attack, a student may have obtained
admin rights on the LAN and then waited for the Prof to connect the USB
drive.  Once connected the admin-student could copy the contents
anywhere.

I used to have a script I ran once I connected a USB drive to my
machine, it 'backed-up' the contents of the drive to a 'temp' folder on
my system.  I used it to sync files and other things.  They are not hard
to write and on USB v2 very fast - even on big drives.

Steve A