Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: LSADump2 Crashing Systems

From: Petr Merta <mertap () chello cz>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:08:51 +0200

On Fri 2. September 2005 23:31, oh face wrote:
Question:
1. Has anyone had this experience? If so, is there a safe method to
execute this tool?
2. When I tested LSADump2 on various Windows boxes, not all fully
patched boxes were affected by this issue. What configuration of
Windows is exactly causing "lsass" to fail?

Perhaps it could be hw issue? I've experienced the same behaviour on itanium
(w2k3/ia64 server); suppose amd64 (with wxp/64) could behave the same way.
Problem was the code injected - it was compiled for i386, and could not be
executed as thread inside 64bit task. AFAIK, dll injection cannot be directly
ported to ia64 platform by eg. recompilation only, as procedure calling
mechanism is quite different.

Petr

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831