Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Secret 5 and John Password Cracker

From: "Francisco Pecorella" <fpecor () cantv net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:12:54 -0400

Hi,

You can use Cain in order to crack Cisco passwords. It is a free tool for Windows that you can download from http://www.oxid.it.

--
Regards,
FP

----- Original Message ----- From: "Unknown User" <9nkn0wn () gmail com>
To: <pen-test () securityfocus com>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:26 AM
Subject: Cisco Secret 5 and John Password Cracker

Hi

I have recovered some cisco passwords that are encrypted using the
secret 5 format. They look like this

$1$Wgqc$sbb8R/2rtOhc7t86J5axj.

The question is can i simply plug this into a standard unix type
shadow file format and use john to crack. I've tried this but I'm not
convinced that John is actually working. Its also incrediblly slow.
Any other tools available to crack these types of passwords.

Thanks

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831