Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: CEH training

From: "Tim Singletary" <Tim () active-defense com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:49:36 -0400

Each and everyone of these course have their good points and bad. I
have been teaching and writing security related course's for 6 years
now as an independent consultant/instructor. I have taught both the
"Official" CEH course and the Infosec course, and will sum up my
experiences, if you have a good solid understanding of security and
want to walk away from the course with skills that will help you
perform a methodical pen test then the Infosec version is better, if
you are a beginner in the security realm then the "Official" EC
Council may be better as it is more into terms and tools that are out
there.

I will reiterate though that no matter whose version of the CEH you
take the instructor is the biggest part of the equation. A good
instructor can take bad courseware and make it a valuable learning
experience. And the same, a bad instructor can take good courseware
and make it a terrible learning experience.

Timothy Singletary
CISSP,CISM,CEI,CEH,Security+,CTT+,MCP
Tim () active-defense com