Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: RFID Tags

From: c0ncept <c0ncept () sbcglobal net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:34:16 -0700 (PDT)

 Does anybody have any links to specs for RFID
implementations; I would imagine they would have to be
somewhat standarized to enable interoperation of RFID
tags and readers from seperate vendors. It would be
intresting to know how big the RFID value namespace
is, as well as the feasability of reading RFID tags
from a distance using high-gain antennas. The majority
of the documentation I am familiar with is from
manufacturing industry journals that tend to give a
higher-level 'decision-maker' oriented overview,
rather than the gory technical details.

Regards,
c0ncept
--- c3rb3r <c3rb3r () sympatico ca> wrote:
There are already in-use security applications for
RFID,
for instance HID is selling access
keys/cards/readers/programmers to
identify enployees and control access to
buildings/offices.
it would be interresting to see how easy it is to
duplicate an existing
key and thus to impersonate an employee, one for
instance may
stand near the door with a reader in the pocket and
harvests keys, then
later duplicates  keys at home with a programmer.
I have seen no pocket readers so far but would it be
such a pain for an
electronic enthusiast to build one ? also programmer
and keys are
inexpensive and quite accessible for the public.
i don 't see any reference either to encryption in
HID products
documentations,  just different data formats needed
to be compliant
with several  card models.
This looks rather like data encoding than data
encryption.
I m aware of many buildings around there already
using  this vendor
techno so i 'm wondering if such a replay attack is
realistic ?
If so it is a very serious issue, has anybody
already some experience in
this area ?
cheers
Gregory

some references:
foxpro key:

http://www.hidcorp.com/products/proximityproducts/proxkey2.html

programmer:

http://www.hidcorp.com/products/proximityproducts/proxprogrammer.html

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention
this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to
be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our
expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with
years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art
hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security
of your organization.
Visit us at:

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html