Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wireless SSID discovery

From: Christopher Blume <godsmoke.pentest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:33:46 -0500

Andrew,

When an AP's broadcasting features are disabled, Kismet sees the access point, and marks it as <no ssid>. After a new client associates with that access point, in the RESP packet, the ssid is transmitted, and Kismet will fill in the ssid. I don't believe any other tools handle the process any differently.

Thank You,
Christopher Blume

Andrew Bagrin wrote:

I'm doing a wireless pen-test and am able to use aircrack  to crack
the wep key, however, when I use Kismet, Cain, airdump etc.. I can't
get the SSID of a the access point if the SSID broadcast has been
disabled.  Does anyone know how to do this, or is there any tools that
will let you get the SSID even if its not being broadcasted.

Thanks,

Andrew