Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Laptop Considerations

From: Joe Smith <joey () joesmith net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:14:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Kris Wingard wrote:

I highly recommend the Latitude D600.  I work for a consulting company,
and all of our engineers use that model.  You're right about the ports,
it is so crucial to have parallel/serial/USB in this line of work, and
the latitude comes standard with all of them.  The built-in wireless

I like the USB wireless adapters.  They have a short cable on them that
allows you to position the adapter/antenna in a hotter signal zone, like
on the dash or on a window sill in a cafe.

You can also play with antenna polarization to get better signal.  I have
even added a 3 ft. usb extension and cable tied the adapter to the luggage
rack to get really good signal for drive around surveying.  (ok
wardriving)

Also if you get a Dell, be sure and locate that little fan control widget
on the internet,  it monitors temperature and you can manually turn the
fans on, low or high speed, 1 or both fans.  (if a dual fan model)