Penetration Testing mailing list archives

re: Odd situation, advice needed on penentration test results

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:43:53 -0800 (PST)

From what I understand of your situation, during the
course of a pen-test, you ran across a potential
intruder, potentially in the process of committing a
crime.

If this is the situation, I have to wonder why you're
bothering to ask the list what to do.  One would think
that if your customer is potentially loosing something
very important and valuable, that you'd immediatly
switch from pen-test mode to forensics mode...or at
the very least inform the customer.

I guess I just don't understand why there's any
indecision at all...