Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Political Analysis of Security Products

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:17:13 -0500 (EST)

Marcus Ranum, if I recall correctly, has an outstanding reward for anyone
with proof that fw-1 was ever backdoored by the Israeli's, it has never
bee collected nor has any evidence of such a backdoor ever really been
offered up.  It remains an unsubstantiated rumor, perhaps initiated by
those competing with fw-1, years back.  An open backkdoor should be able
to be gleened from port mapping techniques, the port has to be openly
accesible for it to be used, yes?  A review/audit of the code for the
product might further provide evidence, but, would require much more time
as well as skill level <i.e. one would need to know C or C++ quite well,
or whatever code base the application./device was written in>  An
examination of theunderlying OS, before and after install, if this is not
a drop and place and configure blackboox device might prove useful also.
Most of the blackbox designs might prove hard to thouroughly audit from an
OS/source perspective as they owner/writers might not be too willing to
provide particulars of their design.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne