Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit

From: Erik Tayler <erik () digitaloffense net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:18:36 -0500

On Thursday 06 September 2001 01:41 am, Wertheimer, Ishai wrote:
Forrest,

I'm not sure what is considered as pen-test in your eyes, but running
Nessus for 20 minutes is not any pen-test !

I don't remember hearing Forrest claim that running Nessus qualified as a
pen-test. Actually, the point I got was that he disliked the fact that some
companies do in fact simply run tools such as Nessus against a network; And
after they do that, they do nothing but throw a large mangled report at upper
management. Read the fine print people.

Even if you think Nessus can do better than any other tool, by automating
and covering any possible vulnerability found in the past (which I could
doubt) -  is this a pen-test?

I've been reading all the replies to Forrest's post. Everybody seems to have
strayed a bit from the original topic. His point was never to prove that
running automated tools in order to save time > manual penetration testing.
Everybody here should also know that Nessus doesn't do penetration testing,
so it probably wouldn't be wise to imply that it could be a replacement for a
pen-test.

Let's all take sides here and get into a bar-room brawl, eh?

Erik Tayler

Ishai.