Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: RVP (RezendeVous Protocol)

From: belka () att net
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:32:47 +0000

I have reviewed Tibco and rendezvous.  I call it
the "poor man's CORBA."  The RVP protocol is UDP and
broadcasts throughout your network.  The RV listeners
read all the UDP traffic looking for datagrams that
pertain to them.

My experience with TIBCO running on a switched network
was that it wasn't very reliable.  It does work well on
unswitched network.

Here is the rub, however.  Unswitched, the network is
easy to sniff.  If you capture the udp packets, do some
analysis, and -- viola -- start injecting your own
spoofed packets, the RV listeners will respond.

In the case of the network I was working on, that
included requests for account information, to which the
RV listeners responded.  The same for order taking,
credit cards, etc.

This can be mitigated greatly by implementing very
specific acls on the routers to route the datagrams to
specific servers on specific segements.  This is labor
and maintenance intensive.

The Tibco product is very sound and works very well
under most conditions. It is, imho, vulnerable to
attack.  I would be careful using it with sensitive
information due to the connectionless protocol.  It is
very well suited for broadcasting information and data,
as long as you wouldn't shy from boradcasting the same
information over your local AM station.  If that isn't
acceptable, perhaps a different product with different
operating methodology would be bettter.

Now, all that said, the experience I just stated is nine
months old (1 Internet year).  Things change.  Milage
may vary.  However, when I first looked into Tibco, the
shop using it wasn't even blocking it at the WAN router
and was blasting datagrams to the Internet in search of
a sympathetic RV listener.  So, I may be a bit skewed in
my opinion.  I liked Redezvous and the technology --
just not for credit card transactions.

Belka Xakepob

Hi all,

Has anyone in this list reviewed RezendeVous protocol and the security
considerations relating to this protocol. I am on an assignment to review
security implemented in a middleware product (TIBCO), which is using this
protocol to communicate between various systems. I have been able to gather
some information from: http://www.psl.cs.columbia.edu/papers/rvp-dd.html
<http://www.psl.cs.columbia.edu/papers/rvp-dd.html> ,   which does not
appear to be fully current. I couldn't find any RFC on this.  I would
appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks and Regards.

Brahma

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/