Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Authenticity test using Flash

From: "doron klotz" <kahloots () ananzi co za>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:44:10 +0200

Does anybody have any knowledge regarding authentication using flash plugins ?

Some background:

The file { checkauthenticity.swf } can be run from
anywhere (even from the internet). However, it requires the tailor
made {authenticity.swf } file to be located in your root directory of
C: before it will work for you.

The file authenticity.swf can easily be made for
anyone - simply rename them (in C:) to use them. The pin number
on all of the authenticity.swf files is 1156 (although one can actually
make it anything).

My question :

is it possible to trick the checkauthenticity.swf file into authenticating you without the correct reciprocal  {
authenticity.swf }.
Also I would like to know if one can tamper/hack with the details or the pin number found inside the {authenticity.swf
} file and still get it to work.

I have attached the files mentioned above
Much Thanks
Kahloots

Brought to you by Ananzi Mail
http://mail.ananzi.co.za