Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Recourse Technologies -- info wanted

From: Spy Fox <nebula_61 () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:02:40 EDT

From: Ryan Permeh <ryan () EEYE COM>
To: PEN-TEST () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: Re: [PEN-TEST] Recourse Technologies  -- info wanted
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:01:09 -0700

I have some qualms about putting a "target" on my network.  i understand
that they may facilitate tracking an attacker, but honestly, why not invest
your money into building a secure architecture in the first place?  A fake
"insecure" host or network may lead an attacker to find a vulnerable real
host there.  I understand a honeypot's use in an academic or research
environment, but as an enterprise appliance, it seems like a pretty poor
idea

There are a number of advantages to having a honey pot on your system.  For
example, if you can log an intruder's attempts at using a specific
username(s), you have evidence that your list of users has been compromised,
or you may have a user who is sloppy about their own security practices.  By
analyzing the intruder's techniques and efforts, you can gain better insight
into how they are thinking, and perhaps where they are going to strike next
within the rest of your network.

Most hackers, like any thief, are going to be attracted to the easiest
target to break in to.  With a honey pot system, you have the means of
getting and keeping the intruder's attention and giving yourself some extra
time to shore up your defenses.  If they figure out they are in a honey pot,
they most likely will be scared off because they know they are already being
tracked.

Regards -

Todd Eastman
Spy Fox