Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Closing Port 139

From: "Walling, Ken" <Ken.Walling () USA XEROX COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:10:40 -0400

This might be worth mentioning just in case you aren't aware of this
feature.

If you go into your network settings (R-click Network Neighborhood -
Properties)
click on the protocol tab
double click TCP/IP Protocol
select the adapter in question from the pull down box
click on the advanced button
click check box to "Enable Security" (if it isn't)
click on Configure
 --- now you will be in the TCP/IP security window
from here you have the option to "Permit Only" for TCP, UDP, and IP
Protocols
I suggest you use all three of these.  You will have to figure out what you
need - but for example - a web server would only need port 80 TCP and UDP
and Protocol and... damned if I can remember the MS code to enable only TCP
ummmm... well, at least we turned off port 139 :)

If anyone knows the Protocol number for TCP (maybe 7 or 9?  or 16? - darn)
please let me know --- sleepless nights to follow now until I recall :(

        happy port blocking,

                Ken