Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Implications for "Looking around?" [FBI confiscation of allegely curious student]

From: White Vampire <whitevampire () mindless com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:24:05 -0500

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 09:42:41AM -0800, Ben Ford(ben () KALIFORNIA COM) wrote:
Bear in mind that he didn't just merely look around.  What he did would
be analogous to driving by and seeing a car accident then stopping to
poke around w/ the brake lines and such.  Maybe he was just curious, but
it was a crime scene he was contaminating and he is a lead that *has* to
be followed up on.  My brother spoke to the kid immediately afterwards
and he admitted that it was pretty dumb of him.

        I hate analogies like this.  It is inapplicable.  You cannot
compare port scanning to walking in a person's house and walking around,
this is not much different.

        Times are changing.  This is the electronic world.  No need to
compare to obsolete situations.

--
   /  \    /  \   \ /   / White Vampire\Rem