Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ISS not detecting unicode bug??

From: Fred Mobach <fred () MOBACH NL>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:29:36 +0100

Eric Budke wrote:

No opinion about Nessus, but the one thing that ISS and NAI have going for
them is a way of pushing out (not technically pushing) updated.  I've got
hundreds of emails across a couple of mail clients of things to go back to,
or to look at. There was a time I'd grab almost every linux kernel and
upgrade all my boxes (until I moved to a laptop where kernel upgrades cause
things like PCMCIA cards to stop working). It isn't really that practical.
Nmap for a period (and I'm sure it will happen again) where there were
updates every day or two. Few admins have the available bandwidth to deal
with that. Especially if you aren't using it every day.

A simple method to avoid disasters :
- backup your currently installed version of the software,
- install the newer version and test it,
- if the newer version is not what you want restore your backup.

BTW if you don't use it on a daily base why bother to check the status
daily ? Check it when you need it.

I'm not disagreeing with the concept of open source, but I think open
source works better if there is a way to fold everything back in to the
original product with some sort of update.

Last time I noticed many Free Software / Open Source projects have a
publication policy :
- it starts with a pre-alpha stage,
- then comes the alpha and the succeeding beta stage,
- then you can chose between :
(a) the CVS to be on the cutting edge,
(b) the development series to test the product,
(c) the stable branche for production use.
Any problems ?

Regards,

Fred
--
Fred Mobach - fred () mobach nl - postmaster () mobach nl
Systemhouse Mobach bv - The Netherlands - since 1976