Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ISS not detecting unicode bug??

From: Eric Budke <budke () BUDKE COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:53:27 -0500

Not having IIS 6.1 to test with or anything, but I would guess that in the
rush to get a new vulnerability in, and using something of an 80-20 rule,
IIS is only checking one or two directories when attempting to use the
unicode hack. The popular bug is using the /scripts directory. If that
isn't there or isn't executable, the check will probably come back that the
server is not vulnerable. However, your /cgi-bin, /msadc, or other
executable directories with the proper arguments are likely still vulnerable.

There was some discussion a year or two ago on another list with the guys
from ISS and NAI (and some others) going back and forth about how they
actually test, the merits of basing it only off of a banner vs. going
through with the actual penetration (especially in how it applies to DOS
testing). Both ways have their merits, but neither tool is flawless.