Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Deeper Penetration

From: Clem Colman <clem () COLMANCOMM COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:44:06 +1100

Another thought of course is a local service might be set to start up under
a highly privileged domain account.  In this case you could get the
passwords the service control manager uses from the registry (I seem to
remember somebody wrote something to do this) or just replace the exe the
service runs with your code and restart the service.

Most likely things to fall victim would probably be things like the backup
service (whatever they might be running) or some kind of agent monitoring
software (Tivolli etc.)  People have a nasty habit of making these Domain
Admins.

Cheers,
Clem.