Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] "Type-of-webserver"-scanner?

From: Mike Gerber <bluehell () GMX NET>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:50:11 +0100

On Mon, Dez 11, 2000 at 01:57:31 +0100, Johan.Augustsson wrote:
I've been 'ordered' to find out how many webservers there are in our
network and devide them into Apache and IIS. So I ran nmap for port 80 in a
small area of our network and found a bunch of servers running some kind of
http-servers. Is there any nice tool out there which connects to the target
at port 80 and get the servertype for me or do I have to telnet all those
servers at port 80 and manually check each server? I guess I could code
something in Perl, but I'm not a great coder so thats not an option.  :)

[kerouac:mg:~]perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'print head("http://freshmeat.net";)->header("Server")."\n";'
Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/4.0.3pl1
[kerouac:mg:~]perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'print head("http://www.microsoft.com";)->header("Server")."\n";'
Microsoft-IIS/5.0

--
mike gerber - "nur dumme vögel setzen sich auf schleimelefanten."