Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Help defining job scope

From: Drew Simonis <care227 () ATTGLOBAL NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:42:57 -0400

"Steven W. Smith" wrote:

  I'm transitioning from systems management and programming into a "site
security person" role.  We don't even have an appropriate job title, yet.

  I've read horror stories about security people prosecuted for performing
their jobs and I don't want to follow in their footsteps.  I'd like to write a
document alluding to job duties that I'm authorized to perform: port scans,
probing for vulnerabilities, etc. and get a hardcopy signed by my boss and
his boss.

Don't allude or imply, be specific.  Be specific and have it approved
by a VP or higher.