PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Auditing WPA/WPA2 wifi networks

From: "C. L. Martinez" <carlopmart () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:34:12 +0000

My answers inline.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Robert Portvliet
<robert.portvliet () gmail com> wrote:
So, your main concern with EAP-TLS is the security of the client side
certificates. The types of MITM attacks that PEAP and EAP-TTLS are
vulnerable to (FreeRadius-WPE) don't come into play. The attacker will have
to actually obtain one of the client's certificates to gain access to the
network.

That's one of the options that we want to test.

However, on that note, when you say external users (on this 3rd AP), I took
that to mean non-employee users.

Correct.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you planning to manage using EAP-TLS with them? (due to the requirement for a
client side cert) (or did I completely misunderstand?).

You've understood correctly. The idea is to use the most secure EAP
possible (we had thought on EAP-TLS, but we can change it) or at
least, detect and mitigate its consequences.

My thought about the servers though, if they are in fact accessed by
employees and non-employees, is to keep in mind that they could be a
possible jump off point into your internal network if compromised. It might
pay to put them in some kind of segregated DMZ type environment.

Sure. We have segregated all possible accesed servers by
non-employees, but there are other internal servers that they need
access.