PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CC numbers stored on planes

From: Tony Turner <tony_l_turner () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:09:00 -0800 (PST)

Not yet. The SIG is moving very slowly. The only things I've seen so far are a comprehensive problem statement
communicated to the card brands and the council and a conscious effort to get speakers from PCI council to speak at air
travel industry conferences. There's a serious lack of information here as many don't fully understand how it all works
together and the issues that are preventing airlines from becoming compliant. It's a good start though. We've started
seeing PCI specific language in recent specification documents for common use systems, but implementation of things
like encryption for example becomes somewhat problematic when a given common use system at a gate or ticket counter may
run any of 30 or so different virtualized payment applications depending on the airline that need to be handed off to a
multitude of different geographically separated back end servers and payment processors.

Did you know a travel agent working from his home (or anywhere for that matter) uses the airlines merchant code and the
airline is responsible for ensuring that home business is PCI compliant with regards to transactions made on their
behalf? Does anyone seriously think that is manageable? I don't.

What about airports that refuse to comply and require airline tenants to use their shared tenant services
infrastructure for voice and data under their contractual agreements? What about international airports that would like
to cooperate if they even knew what PCI was but due to their geographic location (3rd world) and the readily available
technology compliance is a veritable impossibility? And how do individual QSA's handle that situation? Seems to be
different every time (I think we are all familiar with QSA inconsistency issues - my biggest gripe with PCI) and the
airlines usually get hosed. Airport has no contractual relationship with the bank so there's little incentive for them
and it's not like the airline can go to a competing airport in most cases unless they are willing to accept the lost
revenue from not servicing that market. If the airlines are non-compliant, the airports are far far worse.

One thing that has been proposed to the Council is the concept of "PCI Ready" which basically states that for
everything under my control, it complies but I do not guarantee that any other service providers I rely on are
compliant as well. There is no end to end compliance and this really opens a can of worms by setting a dangerous
precedent. I have not heard of any official response but if it was not communicated within the SIG I don't know that I
would have.

My personal preference, and I can't believe I'm even suggesting this, is to forget about the concept of "PCI Ready" and
require merchants to only use registered and compliant service providers. At some point service providers need to be
held contractually accountable and unless it's mandated by the Council or some sort of global agreement on behalf of
the banks I don't see individual merchants doing this in any consistent manner. The other thing that could
theoretically work is legislation mandating PCI (or similar) compliance for any entity that stores processes or
transmits CC data but I have zero faith that such legislation will achieve the desired results due to the incompetence
or corruption of our lawmakers.

Does the air travel industry need to completely change their business model to comply with PCI? Not likely.
Compensating controls can certainly come into play here but some gaps just can't be compensated for.