PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CC numbers stored on planes

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:00:31 +0000

On Jan 24, 2012 6:51 AM, "Scott Rosenthal" <scott.r.rosenthal () gmail com>
wrote:

Hi Robin, here in the states many if not all of the airlines are required
to be PCI compliant. That being said those devices should be considered in
scope by the company that is performing their assessment. If they are truly
PCI compliant, all of the credit card numbers stored on those devices
should be encrypted. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately I've tested companies who have been compliant for years yet
I've still found cleartext card data when I've been doing my test. There
are also companies regularly hitting the press after getting hacked and
finding they weren't encrypting there data.

Its not that I don't trust pci more the ability of some auditors and the
ability of companies to really know what is in scope.

Robin

Scott