PaulDotCom mailing list archives

ISP and router configs

From: Bert Van Kets <mailing () vankets com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 09:21:43 +0200

Hi all,

I want your opinion on the following situation:

I recently moved to a new house and as I arranged to have my cable
connection moved, I took up the opportunity to change to a faster
connection (40 Mbps up, 2Mbps down). The technician installed the
modem/Router/Wifi AP/switch and let me know I'd have to go to the ISPs
web site to configure the thing. Shivers went down my spine ....

Due to a technical failure on their part I have only been able to
configure the wireless bit of the box and have not been able to
configure the router part. I have been told that it should be possible
to set up DHCP, the internal IP range and set up port forwarding.
What bothers me tremendously is that I have to give my internal network
configuration to my ISP. Not only do they own my configuration, but the
configuration of every customer who has that product type (router and
Wifi setup). Great source of info ... :-/
I am stuck for a year, but once the contract is over I will move to
another provider. I have more reasons not to trust my ISP than to trust
them. They have proven several times to be an administrative nightmare,
not only in invoicing but also in technical configurations.

What do you guys think about this?

Bert