PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Corporate AV suggestions

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:10:34 -0500

Fortunately or unfortunately, I've worked with almost every product that's been discussed so far:  here are my thoughts:

 1.  Nod32 probably has the best client piece of all 3...Very lightweight and not resource intensive at all.  We had
full system scans running while playing WoW with no performance impact! I never was a fan of the centralized management
in larger environments though.  Having to define mirror servers, manage client passwords, policy, etc. was always a
little bit clunky when you got over 100 machines IMO.
 2.  Agree with the post about Trend.  One of their client release really required a lot of horsepower to run.  Also
they seemed to go through a period of missing some really big threats.  They do have a terrific management console and
their entire product suite integrates together really nicely.
 3.  We are running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and I've done deployments other places as well.  It does a nice job
mitigating threats and has some great host based IPS features.  The pricing can be steep, but you also get a lot of
extras like vulnerability scanners and integration with full disk encryption solutions.  Lately though, the last few
updates (RU5 and RU6) have had some odd issues with breaking things on client machines.  We've seen a higher than
normal issue rate in these last few upgrades.  Also, doing large scale deployments to unmanaged machines can be a
little clunky from the console.  Using a 3rd party package to distribute an MSI to your clients works a whole lot
better.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts!