PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CALEA

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:16:00 -0400

We are not falling under VoIP but rather broadband ISP via satellite,
but this still gives me places to start - THANKS!

Robert
(arch3angel)

On 4/27/2010 10:11 AM, Dan McGinn-Combs wrote:
Depending on your size and your telephone implementation (POTS, VoIP),
there are a number options. There is at least one startup companies
which is essentially ex-FBI or ex-DoJ who provide the service so they
*know* they are in compliance.

CALEA implementations consist of full blown and dedicated equipment in
each POP to a service that will provide the equipment within 24-hours
to a given location based on the court order. You can check
http://www.neustar.biz for more info.

I've also seen the FBI sign off on home grown versions using a
dedicated Wireshark machine to capture VoIP traffic for a given
telephone number and upload the captured WAV files daily.

The biggest pitfall is that the agents in the field and the guys that
write the regulations are of two different mindsets and have two
different sets of goals. The field agents are not typically trained
"computer scientists". They are much more interested in the evidence
than the technology, especially on the VoIP side.

Dan

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Robert Miller <arch3angel at gmail.com