PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CALEA

From: dgcombs at gmail.com (Dan McGinn-Combs)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:11:32 -0400

Depending on your size and your telephone implementation (POTS, VoIP), there
are a number options. There is at least one startup companies which is
essentially ex-FBI or ex-DoJ who provide the service so they *know* they are
in compliance.

CALEA implementations consist of full blown and dedicated equipment in each
POP to a service that will provide the equipment within 24-hours to a given
location based on the court order. You can check http://www.neustar.biz for
more info.

I've also seen the FBI sign off on home grown versions using a dedicated
Wireshark machine to capture VoIP traffic for a given telephone number and
upload the captured WAV files daily.

The biggest pitfall is that the agents in the field and the guys that write
the regulations are of two different mindsets and have two different sets of
goals. The field agents are not typically trained "computer scientists".
They are much more interested in the evidence than the technology,
especially on the VoIP side.

Dan