PaulDotCom mailing list archives

That degrees do you have?

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:11:42 -0400

I forgot to mention in my last email but Jason hit it on the head with
his statement about self learning.  I built myself a lab in my basement
and taught myself virtually everything I know.  It started off as a
small low end pc's I found or got from others and then built it up.  Now
I'm in the process of rebuilding the entire thing and having nice work
benches were I can begin to do more than just a few systems and misc
testing.

Check out the thrift stores and such, even garage sales for systems.  A
good number of people throw things out or sell them dirt cheap and when
it comes down to it nothing is really wrong with them.

- Robert

Jason Jones wrote:
I have a bachelors in CS, did all the coursework for my masters in CS
at iowa statebut quit when my thesis was tanking and i couldn't find a
prof to fund me and i ran out of $$  :-/ found the InfAs profs there
to not be very good at teaching & keeping up with new things that were
going on. most of my security / network knowledge has come from self
learning & learning from the network & security guys at the
universities b/c they seemed to be able to better explain what it was
like to be in the trenches every day than the profs who read to me
from an old textbook ;-)

Recently entertained going back to try and do masters in InfAs/InfoSec
but it seems that most of the good schools that offer online are
fairly expensive. I've looked at JMU (the GRM n00bs went/go there) but
$700+ per credit hr (= $2100+ per course) is really hard for me to
pay out of pocket (or even justify more student loans for...) and my
boss would rather me not get an education that would give me a better
opportunity to switch to a career i would enjoy more so there's no
chance he would pay...

anyone have other online masters infas/infosec degree recommendations
besides whats already been mentioned?

thanks!
-Jason

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM, iamnowonmai <iamnowonmai at gmail.com