PaulDotCom mailing list archives

That degrees do you have?

From: vlape at me.com (Vincent Lape)
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 03:43:57 -0700

ok so here a bit of a strange one. I hold a B.S in Biology and
Epidemiology however work in infosec. My resume shows School X BS year-
year and School Y BS year-year. in my 12 years working in the field i
have yet to have anyone ask me what my degrees were during an
interview. It is pretty funny to see peoples faces when they ask after
i've been hired. in my opinion degrees really don't matter, you can
pretty much buy them now days. Unless you're going to a place such as
MIT, CMU or something of that stature all you're learning is theory
anyhow does not really help when you get out there in the real world.
Most employers just want to see that you have taken the time and made
the commitment to get some sort of education.

Vinny