PaulDotCom mailing list archives

WD Passport Essential encryption in Linux

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:30:47 +0000

2009/12/31 Michael Miller <mike.mikemiller at gmail.com>:
Robin,

I have a WD My Passport Elite which is supposed to support
hardware-based disk encryption. ?I found on WD support website gem.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=987&p_created=1053009707&p_sid=H8kETMQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTIsMTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUxpbnV4&p_li=&p_topview=1

Which say's they don't support Linux. ?I then tried to look around to
see what FIPS rating (If it has one) the drive has. This will usually
tell you if it supports disk based encryption. ?I couldn't find any
info on the website. ?I think I'm going to e-mail them and ask them if
they plan on supporting Linux anytime soon. ?I think there is a
growing trend in the Federal Government to use Linux servers vs
Widows. ?If that trend is continuing I would think WD would start
support Linux for hardware based disk encryption.

Looks like I'm going for the Elements then and either TrueCrypt or
DMCrypt/LUKS. If you send the email and hear anything back let me
know.

Robin

-Miller