PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How much wiping do you do? :)

From: cybereagle at gmail.com (Matt Hillman)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:39:58 +0100

I'm no expert in this by any means, but as I understand it the Gutmann
method is not relevant to modern disks. I don't have any links to hand but I
remember reading something about how it was designed to take advantage of
specific design points of older drives which just aren't relevant today.

As to how many passes I use, it really depends on two things: how paranoid I
am about said data and how impatient I am at that moment ;) From what little
I do know of disk forensics I'd believe the story that one pass is probably
enough these days, but if I have a small file, I can hardly tell the
difference in time between 1 pass and DoD standard, so I just leave it at
the extra paranoid setting by default. But then if I have something huge, or
a whole disk, I might make do with one pass for speed, knowing that its
probably just as good.

I only use 1 pass on SSD because as far as I know thats as good as it gets
(I *think* i learnt that from Scott Moulton at shmoocon..) , plus it reduces
those pesky write cycles.