PaulDotCom mailing list archives

smart meters

From: vlape at me.com (Vincent Lape)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:31:46 -0400

the meters in western PA use an inductive probe mounted on the outside
of the home. the utility worker has to make contact with the probe
which gives the relative position of the meter gauges.

The power company has been testing some electric meters that transmit
the data back via the power grid.

I decided to research the meter shown on the video and its kinda cool.
they can shut service remotely, you can pay from its keypad, seems to
have all kinds of tamper protection. im trying to get ahold of a tech
manual