PaulDotCom mailing list archives

U3 hacking on encrypted flash drives

From: gbugbear at gmail.com (Tim Mugherini)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:03:29 -0400

Encryption (no matter what form) only protects the data during transit. Once
authentication is successful then data /drive will be the target.

With this said I believe device lockdown, policies around use of such
devices, and disabling the auto-run feature is where one should concentrate.
Once decryption occurs, files will be loaded in memory, etc.. Does not hurt
to have all other pieces of the defense puzzle in place (i.e. patching
solution, etc..)

I did try the U3 Universal Customizer on Ironkey but it not detect the
device so maybe it is not U3 (news to me)