PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Email Management

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Arch Angel)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:58:37 -0500

Ok...  I am going to admit I did not read much past Jack's post and just
scanned over the rest so I apologize if anything is repeated...

As for email, I hate to say it for my company I agree with Jack, the
Crackberry makes it really super easy to grab all my business emails but due
to corporate policy, which i have no issues with, I cant have it check my
corporate email.  I have to use Outlook while on company time, and since I
am a Linux guy that hurts :) but Chris is absolutely correct RULES, RULES,
and more RULES :-) Then make sure you back your rules up so you don't have
to remake them if IT makes small changes that screws up on them :-(

I have not tried the Zero method, however I will look into it much closer.
I do however have a PDF file given to me a long time ago about how to make
Outlook better with filters, rules, colors, folders, all sorts of little tid
bits to help sort crap out and make it easier to scan through.  An example,
anything from my Director is red, anything from my team is blue, high
importance is a greenish, you get the picture.  Ya, Ya, I know why is high
importance not red ya ask, well the Director was the first one I tried the
color idea on and was too lazy to go back and change them :-)

Can't help with RSS feeds as I set them up in Google and to this day I still
don't look them over.  Google does however have a decent why to do the RSS
feeds and also lets you grab multiple emails and sort them, might be a
possible solution...

Podcasts, well like wise Mr. Daniels said, nothing combats a horrible,
torture of a drive like a little Pauldotcom reminding you that you work an
hour and fifteen minutes from work and Paul can walk into his office in his
PJs.  Ok, maybe that was a bit much but reality is that long drives are
where my podcasts are fulfilled.

Note taking, can't recall who brought this one up but can you say BINGO, and
no you don't get a prize :-) but yes, having a means to store your notes,
quick tid bits, whatever you want to store thats the way to go.  The
question you need to ask is what OS are you using, and if you use Windows
and Linux, or Windows and MAC.

I truly LOVE Evernote, as mentioned above, but to get it to work on Linux
was a pain for a while and is suppose to be resolved soon, just not sure if
it has been or not.  Evernote would be my first choice but if you are in
Linux and Windows you might want to look at Notecase -->
http://notecase.sourceforge.net/ It is not as pretty as Evernote, and don't
have the features but is cross platform.

If you or anyone else wants that PDF on Outlook Rescue Help or something,
like I said I am not sure where it originated from it has been so long
ago...

Hope my ramblings have helped a little, and CONGRATS on the schooling!!!