oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default, affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler () dwheeler com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:28:22 -0400

|Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen () sdaoden eu> wrote:
|> IMO it is no vulnerability at all since it has "always" been _very
|> clearly_ (even very lengthily) documented in the manual page.

Hanno Böck replied:
|A vulnerability does not go away if it's documented, and I find that a
|rather strange take.

On Apr 20, 2023, at 8:56 AM, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen () sdaoden eu> wrote:
Hm no, i do not, the latter not at all.  You can bundle a OpenPGP
/ signify / even OpenSSL signature with something and can get
secure download even over non-encrypted channels.

That's true, but irrelevant. The problem is that this function fails to
perform the security function implied by its name. If
HTTP::Tiny supports TLS (instead of rejecting it), it needs to verify TLS certs by default.

If there's function named "isodd()" where "isodd(4) === true", that's a bug,
even if the documentation said that's what it did. The function/method name
implies functionality. You could call it a naming bug. Papering over bugs helps no one.

The *default* of an externally-called function needs to be secure.

I'm sympathetic to the problem of loading in the *right* certs, but systems generally
already have mechanisms for configuring certs. That seems like a solved problem.

--- David A. Wheeler