oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default, affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

From: Reid Sutherland <reid () thirddimension net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 15:57:59 -0400

On 5/3/23 15:54, David A. Wheeler wrote:

On May 3, 2023, at 3:15 PM, Reid Sutherland <reid () thirddimension net> wrote:

Who actually decides when something receives a CVE?

There's a process for assigning CVEs. Anyone who wants to be able to assign CVEs - that is, to become a CVE Numbering Authority
(CNA) - has to follow various processes. I'm sure it can be improved, like all things. I'm not directly involved in this.
You might find more information here:
https://www.cve.org/ProgramOrganization/CNAs

  This can be used to defame projects and products as in this case.

Identifying a vulnerability does not defame a project. If a library has the functionality to retrieve an https URLs, and fails to verify the
server certificates by default, then I (and many others) would call that a vulnerability. After all, the default is what happens. If you
request data from <https://google.com>, you wouldn't expect it to use the data from <https://godzilla.com>. There's a
general expectation that https://FPP provides a secure connection to FOO (with confidentiality, integrity, and server authentication), unless
you specially disable it.

--- David A. Wheeler

A default is not a vulnerability. There are reasons why defaults cannot be changed in libraries once they are stable. This is also why documentation exists.

Revoke these CVEs, it's a stain on the process.