oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Terminal escape sequences - the new XSS for admins?

From: Stephane Chazelas <stephane.chazelas () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 22:06:48 +0100

2015-08-11 16:29:04 -0400, Steve Grubb:
[....]
A lot were based on the vte package. So, I dug into the vte package. In the
file, vteseq.c, is this:

                case 21:
                        /* Report a static window title, since the real
                           window title should NEVER be reported, as it
                           creates a security vulnerability.  See
                           http://marc.info/?l=bugtraq&m=104612710031920&w=2
                           and CVE-2003-0070. */
                        _vte_debug_print(VTE_DEBUG_PARSE,
                                        "Reporting fake window title.\n");
                        /* never use terminal->window_title here! */
                        g_snprintf (buf, sizeof (buf),
                                    _VTE_CAP_OSC "lTerminal" _VTE_CAP_ST);
                        vte_terminal_feed_child(terminal, buf, -1);
                        break;

At this point, I was convinced that most major emulators are safe. That
said...there are all the ones I didn't check including older ones. The older
ones are likely to be the ones I'd be most concerned about.
[...]

Yes, it's the kind of vulnerabilities that were exploited
decades ago and were fixed then.

Now, the authors of newer ones can forget about them.

terminology has a few dangerous escape sequences (including
reporting window title, but also reading arbitrary files and
sending arbitrary HTTP requests), as discussed at
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/213799/can-bash-write-to-its-own-input-stream/213821#comment362700_213805

--
Stephane