oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Another Python app (rhn-setup: rhnreg_ks) not checking hostnames in certs properly CVE-2015-1777

From: Donald Stufft <donald () stufft io>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:37:17 -0400

On Mar 11, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com> wrote:

On 03/11/2015 10:18 AM, John Haxby wrote:
I think there's a misunderstanding here.  I was asking for cooperation
to come up with a solution, participating with other people who, like,
I assumed, Red Hat, have an interest in solving this specific problem
without breaking existing (admitedly flawed) applications.  I know it's
not straightforward, if it was I'd've just produced a patch.  I'm still
happy to work with anyone to sort this out.

Me too. But I trust Nick and he's smart. I don't stick my finger into
every security pie because 1) I'm not an expert in all things and 2) I
have a finite life span and need to sleep.

So again my advice is: work with upstream/the community. You don't need
my input yet. Nick has spent far, far, far more time thinking about how
to fix Python/SSL/TLS then I ever will. Once you have a definitive
solution that you are pretty sure works, then please, by all means poke me.

[snip]

I am actually working on something that will hopefully provide a
better solution (for values of speed and ease of fixing flaws) than
a traditional audit/code fix, (I'd rather address entire classes
of security flaw rather than one instance of the flaw at a time).
But like all things security infinite workload delays specific
projects.

If this fixes the specific problem as a side effect that would be
great.  Details are lacking though, and there's no obvious link here
to making adapting PEP-466 for backwards compatibility (and I have
absolutely no arguments with the rejected solutions for Python).

This is a different project and related to web interfaces (which are a
growing pain point security wise).

This is my last message on the list on the subject.

jch

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

If you want opt in better security, a little bit of monkey patching and
a module on PyPI would fix that. The reason PEP 466 rejected something on
PyPI is because it was opt in and we didn’t consider opt in to be a good
enough fix for upstream Python.

---
Donald Stufft