oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: econet iovec

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:02:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010, Dan Rosenberg wrote:

This also raises a question of whether it's worth assigning CVEs to every vulnerability that was fixed by a single change in the core code. I'm leaning towards "no".

This is a big can of worms CVE-wise, since there can be multiple ways to fix a single issue. As a result, I've come to believe that you shouldn't try to define a vulnerability exclusively in terms of its fix. In practice within CVE, if a single fix addresses an already-public CVE-xyz and a whole bunch of other things, then we (generally) keep the already-public CVE as is, and assign a new CVE(s) to the "bunch of other things" that are simultaneously addressed.

For example - in package XYZ, you might have both XSS and SQL injection, where the XSS is fixed by input validation (say, by ensuring that a numeric input is actually converted to a number). This fix will inadvertently address SQL injection, but a different XSS fix - say, proper encoding - would not.

This is one of those areas where we can't be completely consistent in CVE, and the amount of available information directly affects how many CVEs get assigned.

- Steve