Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bugs for beginners

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:14:13 -0600

Vinamra,

Thanks for the inquiry. I usually find it hard to assign a difficulty to
bugs without fully researching and usually fixing them myself. However,
since you and a few others have requested it, I've added tags for "easy,"
"hard," and "not-well-defined" to our Github Issues tracker. I'll try to
make a good effort to tag new issues with these.

Regarding places for beginners to start, I usually recommend a few
different places:

* If your first language is not English, check out our translations of the
Nmap man page to see if there is one in your language. If so, please check
to see if it needs to be updated. Most of them are quite out-of-date.
https://nmap.org/docs.html#intro
* If you're interested in NSE scripting using the easy-to-learn Lua
language, check out the Script Ideas wiki page to look for something that
interests you. https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Script_Ideas
* For other languages, browse the source or look at bugs tagged with
components that use that language: Python = Zenmap, Ndiff. C++ = Nmap,
Nping. C = Ncat, Nsock.
* Scan (with permission! https://nmap.org/book/legal-issues.html) your
local network or other devices you own, using the -A option. Report
unrecognized services or OS fingerprints via https://nmap.org/submit and
report NSE script bugs (use -d to see them) to the mailing list.

Hopefully other list members will chime in with their own ideas.

Dan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Vinamra Bhatia <vinamrabhatia8 () gmail com>