Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problem about probe open ports to determine remote desktop service

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 07:55:29 -0600

Rujing,

Thanks for this bug report. We had received similar reports ([1], [2]), and
did some minor fixes to version detection to try to fix it. Namely, we
removed port 3389 from the list of ports that the new TLSSessionReq probe
is intended for. This probe gets a response from Microsoft Terminal
Services, but once the TLS handshake happens, we can't seem to get any
further communication from the service, so there is no match. By moving it
lower in priority, we allowed the TerminalServer probe to get the RDP
service match.

As you found out, though, this still left us unable to properly detect RDP
on non-standard ports, since in the general case, the TLSSessionReq had a
higher priority (1) than the TerminalServer probe (6). I think I've fixed
this in r36516 and r36517, by adding a more specific match for the Terminal
Services TLS handshake to the TLSSessionReq probe. This should only match
Microsoft's SChannel TLS, which Terminal Services uses. A softmatch directs
execution to the remaining probes that contain "match ssl" lines, including
the TerminalServer probe and a new TerminalServerCookie probe, that should
be able to properly identify the RDP service.

Please let us know if this solves your problem. The new service database
can be found at https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/nmap-service-probes

Dan

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2016/q2/236
[2] https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/525