Nmap Development mailing list archives

Problem to install npcap-0.78-r5.exe on Windows 7 64bits

From: Celtic Rasta <celtic.rasta () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 18:21:30 +0100

Hello,
initially, I had Wireshark 2.2.3 and WinPcap 4.1.2. installed and it worked
fine, except there is not way to capture WIFI control frames with Winpcap;
so, I decided to test Npcap;

I have just downloaded npcap-0.78-r5.exe from github;
when installing it on my Windows 7 64 bits with Winpcap compatibility
option checked, I received the following message :

---------------------------
Npcap 0.78 r5 (beta) Setup
---------------------------
Failed to create the npcap service for Win7, Win8 and Win10.
Please try installing Npcap again, or use the official Npcap installer from
https://github.com/nmap/npcap/releases

and the same message for npcap2 service

By the way, there is no error message issued related to digitally signed
drivers (as I saw in some forums)

After this installation, I tried the command "net start npf" in a DOS box
with admin right, and I got the following result :
C:\Windows\System32>net start npf
The service name is invalid.

When starting Wireshark, no (LAN/WIFI) interface is seen

I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall npcap-0.78-r5.exe without
Wincap compatibility option check and got same message as above for npcap
service (no message for npcap2 service, though)

The "net start npf" still gives the same result, and no interface is seen
under Wireshark

Any idea or suggestion would be welcome

thanks in advance