Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Npcap BSOD

From: 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 00:40:06 +0800

Hi Mike,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Michael Muir <michael.muir () gmail com> wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure what is the correct method of communicating BSOD errors
with you when using NPCAP but I found this address on GitHub so I'm giving
it a try.

Please direct me to the correct forum for this discussion if email is not
appropriate.

A better place is creating an issue in our GitHub page:
https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues. You can submit an issue there.

The files you need to provide are described here:
https://github.com/nmap/npcap#bug-report, including DiagReport,
install.log, NPFInstall.log and the BSoD dump (Minidump or full dump)

I am using NMAP/NPCAP with Home Assistant and have been experiencing BSOD
ever since I first attempted to use the NMAP/NPCAP component as a device
tracker. I have continued to experience the BSOD issue since around version
0.28 of HASS and continue to have issues on the 0.34.3 so I do not believe
that my issue is related to HASS.

What is HASS? I guess it is a security toolbox that contains Nmap?

I have managed to capture a photo of my BSOD (as attached) which seems to
indicate that my issue is with npcap.sys so I have today installed the
latest version I can find which is 0.78 r2 as I have read similar issues
with older versions.

My current Nmap installed version is 7.31.

I am also concerned that my operating system may be an issue with
compatibility to NPCAP as I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 which I've
just found is not listed as a compatible operating system.

Win 2008 R2 is basically the same thing as Win7, which is supported by
Npcap.

I am using this server as a host and are running Hyper-V virtual servers
however my NPCAP instance is running on the host operating system.

Hyper-V may be the cause, as it's a very complicated mechanism which
contains the low-level network drivers, which may conflict with Npcap. I
need to see the DiagReport to come to any firm conclusion.

I've attempted to obtain the C:\Windows\Minidump) or C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
to supply to you but both files are dated over a month ago but my most
recent BSOD was today (within an hour of using the HASS NMAP component I
will experience a BSOD).

If you encountered a blue screen and patient enough to wait for the machine
to reboot itself (not push the Power button to reboot hardly by yourself).
You should have the Minidump file at least. You should google around how to
configure correctly to generate Minidump at least like here:
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Here's also a very strange behavior for Win7. After reboot from BSoD and
come to desktop, you will see a window popped up saying something like
"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" or whatever. Don't
click "Cancel" or the close button. Because it will delete your Minidump!
The best way is to leave this window alone and find your latest Minidump
first.

Cheers,
Yang

I would appreciate any support you can offer me as I would love to utilize
the NMAP component of HASS to provide device tracking in my Home Automation
project.

Kind Regards, Mike

​
 bsod.jpg