Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC IPv6 Machine Learning

From: João Godinho <joao.f.godinho () ist utl pt>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 20:45:09 +0000

Good evening,

I'm interested in applying for GSoC, specifically for the Machine Learning IPv6 OS detection and I was wondering if I can get more information about the task at hand, as well as share my thoughts on it.

The way IPv6 OS detection is implemented (as seen in https://nmap.org/book/osdetect-guess.html#osdetect-guess-ipv6) seems pretty straightforward, but I haven't seen information on how well the model fits the data, is there any information relative to this? About the data itself, how large is the current set? Is it easy to generate new data? How were the features selected? This might be a good starting point for the project itself. I believe that after having a good dataset, throwing something like a random forest at the data could give some good insights, some preliminary results could be obtained, as well as how relevant are the features and maybe reiterate their selection. With the previous knowledge, test some common classifiers and integrate the result into nmap.

To summarize: data validation; test classifiers; nmap integration.

The previous is my opinion and what I'd like to do on such project, I'd like to hear what the devs have to say about this and their opinion. I'd also like to point out that I'm no ML expert, there're probably easier and/or better ways to approach this. My knowledge on the subject is based on what I've learned so far in my MSc (Information Systems and Computer Engineering), in which I'm specializing in cyber-security and intelligent systems.

Best regards,
--
#70577
João Godinho