Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:50:45 +1000

On 23 Jul 2015, at 6:38 am, Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au> wrote:
Hi folks

I signed up to this mailing list to contribute to the "Not a valid win32 application" error that occurs with the
latest nmap on XP.

The problem is the PE header is marked with SUBSYSTEM 6.0, which means Vista or later. For XP, the linker command
line needs to have: /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01

If nmap is built with Visual Studio 2013 (which I think it is since it links with MSVCR120), the right way to build
for XP is to select "x120_xp" for the Platform Toolset.

Thanks for the details.  I think if you or someone else writes up instructions for compiling the latest Nmap using
Visual C++ Express to support XP, that would be useful for all the XP users and might help us potentially make an
XP-compatible installer if there is enough demand.

There isn't really much to write up. All that needs to be done is open up the vcxproj files and change the lines
"<PlatformToolset>v120</PlatformToolset>” to "<PlatformToolset>v120_xp</PlatformToolset>”. That’s it.

I downloaded nmap-6.49BETA4 and tested this. It compiled fine and no source code changes were needed. The resulting
nmap.exe runs fine on XPsp3. Given that it’s such a trivial change, why not support it?

I’d be happy to contribute a pull request.. or however that is done with SVN.