Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap] set source port in unprivileged mode

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 01:32:59 -0800

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Simone Chiarelli <simchi88 () gmail com> wrote:

It’s possible to set source port in tcp/connect scan mode even while
unprivileged (for ports higher than 1023).
Would it be feasible to add such feature to nmap?

Hi Simone.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Right now our connect() scan
doesn't support setting the source port (-g) at all--either with privileges
or without.  We would certainly consider such a feature if someone wrote a
patch and it worked well.  However, I'm worried that problems might crop up
with retransmissions and also the case where we do a TCP connect() ping to
the host followed by a port scan against the same port.  Some systems might
not let us create a repeat connection with the same 4-tuple (src and dest
host and ports) so quickly due to wait states or other issues.  I haven't
really tested it or thought about it much though.  It would need to be
tested on at least Linux, Windows, and Mac.

I think the vast majority of people who would want to use -g have root
privileges and are using SYN scan for their TCP scanning.  So we haven't
seen a lot of demand for adding this support to connect scan.  But like I
said, we'd definitely consider a patch if someone wants the feature enough
to write and test it.

Cheers,
Fyodor