Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: issues.nmap.org (Github Issues) beta test now open!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 12:56:27 -0800

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
wrote:

As a few of you already know, there is an "unofficial mirror" of Nmap's
source code on Github [1]. In the past week or so, we have taken steps to
make it less-unofficial. Today, I am officially announcing the open
Beta-test of Github Issues as the Nmap Project bugtracker:
http://issues.nmap.org/

The nmap-dev mailing list is a great tool and community, and it's not
going anywhere. We will continue to accept bug reports, patches, questions,
and musings via dev () nmap org. But wherever possible, we will convert
those into issues on the bugtracker so that things are much less likely to
slip through the cracks.

This is great! I've been playing with this bug tracker for a while and
think it will really help organize our bug and feature and issue tracking.
And I want to reiterate what you said in your second paragraph--the dev
list will remain central for community discussion.  After all, if someone
files a feature request or bug report just on issues.nmap.org, it is
unlikely to get much attention/discussion on its own.  So I think a much
better process would be for them to either:

1) file the bug then also send the details to the dev list for discussion
along with a link to the github issue.  The issue can be updated based on
any useful followup discussion and you could even add a link to the mailing
list discussion threat to the issue.

2) Same as above, but you could start with the mailing list thread and
discussion and then the github issue could be added during or after the
discussion when more may have been figured out.

I think the key is just to avoid "drive by" issue filings which could end
up kind of orphaned in the issue tracker without community
input/discussion.

Cheers,
Fyodor