Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap has stopped working - Windows 8.1

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:30:54 -0500

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Elrich De Villiers <tillter123 () live com> wrote:
Hey, today I tried to install Nmap with Zenmap on my surface pro 3 running
windows 8.1, but every time I try to scan an IP I get the message Nmap has
stopped working and the scan fails. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Elrich,

Thank you for your bug report. Support for Windows users is important
to the Nmap project, and we have received several reports of crashes
on Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to reproduce
this crash. Please provide more information about your system so we
can diagnose and fix this problem:

1. output of nmap --iflist

2. Which of these (or all) commands crashes Nmap?
a. nmap -sn scanme.nmap.org
b. nmap -Pn scanme.nmap.org
c. nmap -sn 192.168.1.1 (or some other local-LAN address)
d. nmap -Pn 192.168.1.1

3. Is there anything else unusual about your Nmap install? Are you
using the executable installer or the zipfile? Are you running with
any special privileges or restrictions?

4. Is there anything special about your Windows installation that we
should know? What edition (RT, Home, Pro, Enterprise)? Any security
software (antivirus, firewall, etc.)? Specialized hardware?

Thank you so much for your feedback. With your help, we hope to have
this problem solved quickly.

Dan